First off, let me do a little back-tracking because I can't remember if I posted this and I am too lazy to go looking back thru old posts. The last time we were in Houston for Riley's doctor visit, they increased the amount of 6MP (her nightly chemo pill) by a total of 1 extra pill per week, due to her repeatedly high ANC. Her ANC, or absolute neutrophil count, should typically be anywhere between 750 & 1,500 to keep her out of the danger zone. Anything lower makes her neutropenic, and gives her a greater chance of catching any little bug or virus...anything higher means her body has adjusted to the chemo, which we also don't want. Riley's ANC had been running in the 2 to 3 thousands for about 2 months...hence, the increase in her 6MP.
Last week Riley had her blood counts checked, like we do every 2 weeks after her Houston visit...and her ANC was 120. This low ANC meant we had to basically put her on lock down and keep her away from any large crowds or sick people...to help keep her well. I didn't post anything last week, because I just knew as soon as I did she would get a fever...in turn awarding her direct admission into the hospital. So, the plan was made to hold off on all her home meds and recheck her counts in 1 week...which would be today. So, this morning I brought Riley & Hayden (a treat in and of itself) up here to have her counts rechecked, and her ANC today...2,020. Wow! Because it rebounded so quickly, they blamed it on the increase in meds. That is just crazy. You wouldn't think that 1 little pill, split over 2 days, would have that much of an affect on someone...just goes to show how powerful these medicines are. I am just so thankful that we survived the dreaded week of neutropenia with no fevers!!! The plan now is to start back up her meds at half dose, and see where she is next week...keep your fingers crossed!!
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Wow-zah!!
Posted by Kari at 3:58 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment