Saturday, October 27, 2007

Home Sweet Home


We were finally released from the hospital at 9:30 last night. We were scheduled to leave earlier, but had to have an unexpected dose of medicine. Her Uric Acid levels had gone up since her last blood test. This is caused from the Leukemia cells "busting" in her blood, and it can cause crystalization in her kidneys. We definitely don't want that. So, she had to have a pretty powerful medicine injected into her IV. The nurses kept a close eye on her during this, because it is so powerful she could have some major reactions. But, she handled it like a champ. So, they monitored her after this for a while. Then she had her next chemo shot, one in each leg, and again handled that like a pro. She continues to amaze me how tolerable she is being of all the shots and lab draws they are having to do. So, finally her last blood test showed her Uric Acid level had dropped from 8 to 0.6. We were finally free to go home. You couldn't get us out the door fast enough.
It felt fantastic to sleep in our own beds. We are still missing Hayden big time. He isn't home because he has been sick himself, and obviously can't be around Riley with her lowered immune system. We are thinking he should come home tonight or definitely tomorrow.
Riley and Daddy have gone off to fill the deer feeders. I think Riley had a major case of cabin fever. So, I am home alone and not quite sure what to do with myself. I'm sure I will find something to get into...

9 comments:

Dede said...

Yay! You're home!! What a relief for all of you. Enjoy this beautiful day!
Love...Dede

Kim said...

Hey Kari. I know that we have not spoken or seen each other in a very long time. Tanna sent me an email about Riley. I am so very sorry to hear about her condition. This is horrible news. I am glad to know that you guys are home. She is beatiful Kari. I will keep her in my prayers. Please give me a call when you get time. My cell number is 409-354-8706.

Michelle Vick said...

I know that we have never meet but I am Sharon's daughter in law and have a three year old myself named Madison and could not image what Riley and her family are going thru. You guys have been in our prayers and will be.

Take care and God be with you.
Sam & Michelle Vick

Christa said...

I am thrilled to hear you are at home. Riley you look great and seem to be handling it all well. I hope Hayden can come home and you can all be together. I hope to see you all soon. Love, Christa

geri said...

I'm so very glad you all are home, Riley is a chip off of her ole MOM. take care of yourself, you and Josh.
Geri

zbranek said...

Dear Mika family,
As you already know we have been lifting your family's name up to God in prayer. He is faithful on answering,in his time. So very proud of Riley! We are thinking of all of you..Praying...

God bless you all,
Zbranek family

Tanna said...

Hi Kari! I'm glad that y'all are all at home! Riley is so beautiful! She looks like she is handling it like a champ. Riley and your family are in my prayers.
Love, Tanna

Kristin Marak said...

I'm so glad to hear that you guys are home! All of you, especially Riley, remain in our constant thoughts and prayers. I don't think I've seen Riley since Fiddlers in April. She's gotten so big. She's beautiful!! If there is anything we can do to help out, please just give us a call (798-6721).

Kristin

Dede said...

Kari, what time are you and Josh taking Riley in tomorrow? I would love to come and visit with y'all and see Riley and help take care of Hayden if yuu bring him. Please let me know. I'm here to help any way I can. I love you! Kisses to kids!......Dede