Thursday, March 12, 2009

Out with the old & In with the new!!

Riley is now newly equipped with 1 up and running port!! I'm not sure why, but I decided not to tell her she was going to have surgery to replace her port. But, the girl is smart...she figured it out. I think she remembered the last time she went through this, and began to get a little anxious. She was such a trooper thru it all...we are always so amazed at how well she handles everything. We had to be at the hospital at 6:30 Tuesday morning, which was a little painful in itself. Her surgery was originally scheduled for 8:30, but they ended up taking her back at 8. Riley was very nervous about having to walk back to the OR without us, but the nurse with her was so great and helped calm her down. Later in the evening I was asking her about what happened while she was back there and she started telling me about when they gave her the "bubble gum" air. She giggled and said "oops, I wasn't supposed to tell you that!" Obviously the nurse told her it was a secret to keep from Mommy and Daddy. The surgery went great, and we were in the recovery room with her by 9:30. It is so hard as parents to see her lying on this bed, groaning in pain and know there is nothing you can do to help her...it broke our hearts. You just want to pick her up and squeeze her, but that would hurt her even worse. She finally woke up enough to drink some apple juice, and we were back at the hotel around 10:45. I gave her a tylenol with codeine, and she slept until almost 3...the girl was worn out. By the time she woke up from that nap, it was time for another tylenol w/ codeine which knocked her out again. That seemed to be the cycle for the rest of the night. At least it kept her semi-comfortable, though.

Wednesday morning was her monthly doctor visit, and fortunately they had kept her accessed from her surgery so we were able to avoid another poke. Her blood counts were ok...her ANC is 570. 500 is the cut off for "public isolation"...so we barely escaped that. She was still able to receive her Vincristine in her port, and we started another week of steroids. The steroids will hopefully help in rebounding her counts...or so they say. We will check them again next week to make sure they haven't dropped any lower.

Please say some prayers for Riley to recover quickly from this surgery. She is still pretty sore, and doesn't want to go back to school quite yet. She is worried she won't be able to get on the potty by herself...the things she worries about! She stayed with Nani today, but tomorrow is silly sock day at school...so we'll see what she decides to do. I don't want to push her too much.


6 comments:

Bolcerek Family said...

Glad to hear everything went well. Riley looks great!!! Hope she starts feeling better soon. We will continue to keep her (&you) in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

It is so good to hear that things went well. She is such a trooper! I pray for her everyday.
Kristin H's Mom

Michelle said...

Glad to hear that the surgery went well. We were praying for her. And she is just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I am so lucky to be related to such a beautiful family. The dog is precious, too! I am so happy Riley is doing well. Tell her Dede loves her! (and Hayden, too, of course!) I will continue to pray as always! Call me when you're in town...maybe we can do lunch or dinner again. I miss and love you all!!.....Dede

Vickie said...

Thank you for so many absolutely adorable photos of Riley and hurray for silly sock day.

VB

Anonymous said...

HRiley your hair is so beautiful. I talked to your daddy yesterday and he said you were doing better from getting your new port. That makes me happy. Mommy is so awesome keeping up with your blog. When Paige comes home I would like you and your family to come eat supper. I guess it's ok if your stinky daddy comes to:o) I know you are going to be the most pretty flower girl ever for Paige and Dustin. I pray for you every night my love. Holly