Riley had her clinic appointment yesterday, and everything looked great. It felt very odd being there after having a month off, and things actually went smoothly. Usually when we are there for spinal taps, everything seems to move in slow motion. Riley's blood counts were all good...Her ANC was 1,230, platelets were 210, and hemoglobin was 11.5. Her white blood count was a little low at 2,000, but they didn't seem too concerned about it. She was able to get her spinal tap, and did so great. Her mood throughout this procedure, I have learned, depends solely upon the mood/actions of the nurse helping us. While Dr. Dreyer is performing the tap, the nurse and I are holding Riley into a ball and trying to distract her from what is going on. We had the best nurse, Caryn, yesterday and Riley hardly even made a whimper during the procedure...what a champ! Riley also got her dose of Vincristine in her port, and started the 5 days of steroids. And, oh joy, because she is growing so much we get to increase the dose of the steroids...did I mention, Oh Joy?! Luckily, it is only 5 days...even though sometimes it feels like 5 months. Then in two weeks we will check her blood counts locally, and go back on July 28th (Riley's 4th birthday) for her next dose of Vincristine.
Riley helping collect the blood from her button

After clinic we headed out to Minute Maid Park to catch up with our new friends, the Astros. We had the best time!! They took us into the Press Conference room and some of the players came by to meet everyone, sign autographs, and take pictures. The mascots came in first and Riley wasn't too excited about them...but then the real fun started. All of the guys were so sweet and sincere, and they all LOVED Riley...but who doesn't?! When Riley saw everyone start coming around and signing their names with markers, she decided that was fun and wanted to sign her name on everything. Some of the players would come to her and want to sign her calendar...but they had to wait until she was finished signing her name first. It was pretty cute. We had so much fun, and even though they lost we enjoyed watching the game. Can't wait until next year!!
Nana, Riley, and Juction Jack
Riley giving her autograph
Riley and Brandon Backe
The Big Puma!!
Carlos Lee
Hunter Pence
The "other" Pumas!!
Go Astros!!

6 comments:
Hello. I just found your blog from my sitemeter. I'm so sorry to read that yet another little one has to go through this yucky stuff, but I'm encouraged by the way that you and your family are walking the road. I'm assuming you guys are in Houston. Do you know the Ryan family? They are a link on our blog and have become our blog friends as we all fight ALL. Look them up sometime they are probably pretty close to where you are.
Oh my goodness....how much fun!! The Astros game looks like it was tons of fun and what a lucky little girl to meet all those great guys!!
Great pictures!!
I am SO happy that my precious niece finally got to meet her future uncle - William Lance Berkman. You know, pre-divorce, re-marriage, etc! Priceless pics!!
OMG! You got to meet my idol....Lance Berkman! Nenni is going to have to fight Dede over him!!! I'm so glad y'all had that opportunity. Fun times. We had so much fun at Shelby and Justin's shower. Katelyn and Madison loved playing with Miss Riley! Can't wait to see the beautiful flower girl and the handsome red-headed ring bearer at the wedding! I love you all....Dede
Riley is so adorable in all the Astro pics. She's a lucky girl to have gotten a chance to pose with all those handsome guys!
Riley...stay on that road to recovery...my prayers are still with you all!!
~Take Care!
Hey Riley, this is Missy, I work with your grandpa at Tarlton. He just showed me your pictures with the astros. I just wanted to tell you that you are so pretty and I love your hair, you're so beautiful. You have a happy fourth of July!
Post a Comment