Thursday, November 29, 2007

Hair today, gone tomorrow...



Riley is officially a member of the beautiful bald head club, and now those big brown eyes take center stage. I think I fell in love with her all over again...she looks so adorable. I'll admit I was a little nervous when they fired up the clippers, but Riley loved it and never took her eyes off the mirror. When she was all through she said "Mommy, I am still pretty!" like she was surprised, I told her you don't need hair to be beautiful. Then it was daddy's turn in the barber's chair, and I think she liked watching all his hair fall to the floor...she was just smiling ear to ear.
Our clinic visit went well, just a lot of sitting and waiting. Riley did have another spinal tap, she will have another 3 in a row. This is just to protect the spinal fluid from any leukemia cells. After she woke up from her procedure we went back up to clinic so Riley could get her chemo, and she also had to have the shots in her leg again. Once they did the shots, we had to sit around and wait 2 hours in case she were to have an allergic reaction to the medicine. Thankfully she was able to eat during this, and devoured a hamburger and then part of daddy's lunch, too.
We did receive the official word that Riley is in remission!!! We started the next phase of treatment, Consolidation, and it's fairly similar to the the last phase. We will still go every Wednesday for Vincristine and also have weekly spinal taps. The only new thing is Riley will now have a pill to take every night at bed time. It is another chemo medicine, Mercaptopurine. Then she will have the shots of PEG in her legs every couple of weeks, there will be a total of 4 doses of this...I think.
Once again thank you everyone for the encouraging words and prayers...they are being answered!!! I will try to get some more pictures of Riley tonight with her new look...she really does look adorable.

6 comments:

Jen for Lady Bee's said...

yahoo REMISSION!!!

Dede said...

Terrific news!!!!!!!! I need that "do"!......love Dede

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that and I look forward to informing my Sunday school class!
Take care of both your babies and I especially thank you for sharing this journey with us.

Kerri Schaefer said...

Looking pretty with a shining head! I am sure the crowns will look so pretty! We contiue topray for each of you as you endoure the long process but with God Remission Possile! Kerri Schaefer
www.carepages.com
visit:buddhabelly

Anonymous said...

Riley you look so cute, now for your daddy that is a different story. I miss you and Hayden so much. See You Soon!
Hugs and Kisses
Uncle Jairus

The Inmans said...

Hi Kari. I have not seen or spoken to you in a very long time but I want you to know that Riley is in my prayers daily! She seems like a very strong, beautiful little girl. Great to hear she is in remission!

Julie Martin Inman