Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Happy Birthday, Hayden!!

Our little man is 1 today...and this has to have been the fastest year in history. We celebrated by having dinner at Nani and Papo's house (Josh's parents, Mary & Jerry). Hayden had a fantastic birthday!!
Riley had another great doctor's visit. Her blood counts were all okay. Not all as high as they would like them, but high enough to not need any transfusions. Our regular oncology doctor, Dr. Dreyer was back in town (she has been in India for a medical conference for the last couple of weeks) so we spent the visit talking about what she believes the future will hold for us. They think that we will be able to move down from standard risk to low risk, and be labeled as a Rapid early responder. This is all dependent on how her bone marrow looks next week, but because her last bone marrow was clear...she feels confident in this. She went through our future treatment plans, and as soon as I have a grasp on it...I will pass it on. The best news out of this all is there will be no more steroids for a couple of months, and when we do go back on them it will only be for 5 day stretches. Right now, the steroids are the root of all our evils. The girl is obsessed with eating, and has ballooned out a little. This is all normal, especially when eating so much salty foods. Right now Riley has fallen in love with toast and gravy. Even at 2 in the morning, she wants to get up and eat toast and gravy. Dr. Dreyer said this is also why she is so tired and grouchy all the time...6 days left and counting down.
So, right now everyting is being based upon how her bone marrow looks next week. So, please keep praying for a full remission...meaning no more Leukemia cells.

6 comments:

Dede said...

Sounds like good news for Riley....that's great.!!!!..keep the toast and gravy coming! Looks like Hayden had a really good birthday!! Looking forward to the get-together. Love to all...Dede

Christa said...

Glad to hear the good news from your dr. visit and I too agree, where did the last year go? It seems like just yesterday I was holding Hayden at the hospital. Kari, you are doing an amazing job at motherhood and it shows in your kids. I can sympathize with Riley as I have always been a junk food junkie. My prayers and thoughts are with you all. Love, Christa

Kerri Schaefer said...

Happy Birthday to the cutie! Congrats on the news. We will pray for clear results on bone marrow. Be patient with Riley! We have you close to our hearts and in our prayers!

The Schaefers
www.carepages.com
visit: buddhabelly

Shelby said...

mom told me the good news yesterday, but I will reiterate my excitement.. YAY!! Happy Birthday Hayning!!

Jenn Kostelnik said...

Just wanted to let you know we think about you guys all the time. Katie and I say a special prayer for Riley every night. You are doing a wonderful job dealing with everything. Don't ever doubt yourself. Give Riley and Hayden big kisses from us. I can't believe he's already one! We'll see you at the party Saturday! Love, Timmy, Jenn, Katie, and Karley

Dede said...

Sorry we couldn't make the party. I'm sure fun was had by all. I miss you all and can't wait to see everyone at Christmas or before. Good luck on Wednesday. I'm praying the bone marrow will come back perfect. Yay...no more steroids!?! How is Miss Riley feeling? Better every day, I hope! I love you.....Dede